Contact the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at (313) 267-7401 upon discovery of an overflow or backup of a sewer.

If you have an overflow or sewer backup into your home or business, you will need to complete a damage claim form and send to DWSD. State law requires you file a written claim with DWSD within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered.

DWSD Property Damage Claim Form
(Download this form, fill it out on your computer, then print and mail to DWSD)

The claim form must include the following information: claimant’s name, address and phone number; the address of the affected property; the date the property damage or physical injury was discovered; and a brief description of the claim.

Mail the claim form to:
Detroit Water and Sewerage Department
6425 Huber
Detroit, MI 48211
ATTN: Claims Division

Failure to provide the required document will bar your claim.